The EquaBeam math balance tips the scales toward understanding equals (=), not equal (≠), less than (<), and greater than (>). Illustrates addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division as combining and separating actions. Enables students to discover the number facts, thus making them their facts, not just numbers on a worksheet or in a textbook. Allows the introduction of algebra as in solving equations like X + 3 = 2 x 5 in grades K-6.
• Sturdy one-piece double-sided crossbeam with numbers on one side and tracks on the reverse side to hold “topic” strips
• Calibration clips that ensure accuracy
• Two sets of pre-printed topic strips—one on time, the other on measurement—that fit in the tracks for teaching equivalences such as 30 minutes = 1/2 hour and 12 inches = 1 foot
• One set of blank topic strips for teaching other topics, such as money, fractions, and fraction-decimal-percent equivalences
• Twenty 10-gram weights
• Two built-in storage compartments to hold the weights
• Measures 31 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 10-1/2 inches high
Available from this website or ETA/hand2mind.
Directed activities for the EquaBeam™ on equals (=), not equal (≠), less than (<), and greater than (>).
Child-friendly exercises on solving algebraic equations like X+8 = 10+5.
Precursor activities for mental math (like adding with 8 and 9).
Discovery lessons for the addition facts, missing addends, finding differences, and the multiplication and division facts for 2-10.
Guided discovery activities for time, money, and measurement.
Even puzzles and riddles for developing logical thinking and problem solving skills.
Grades K-6. More than 100 reproducible black-line masters with permission to duplicate.
FREE! Download only from this website.
… the Balance Book
Activity cards for the math balance or EquaBeam™—94 in all sized to fit in a 5" x 8" file box:
ADDITION, Activities 1-8
MULTIPLICATION, Activities 9-18
OTHER NAMES, Activities 19-22
TENS, Activities 23-30
DIVISION, Activities 31-42
PLACE VALUE, Activities 43-46
COLORING PATTERNS, Activities 47-50
ADDITION PROBLEM SOLVING, Activities 51-58
MULTIPLICATION LOGIC, Activities 59-66
BALANCE, Activities 67-76
AND/OR LOGIC, Activities 77-86
FACTORS, Activities 87-94
STUDENT DESIGNED ACTIVITY CARDS (3 pages)
Available only from this website.